The LEVEL Youth Policy Program (YPP) brings together Indigenous and racialized immigrant and refugee youth from across BC to provide training to shape and advocate for public policy that addresses issues impacting their lives. Applications are now closed.
The LEVEL Youth Policy Program will offer you the opportunity to:
- Explore and reflect on what it means to do policy and advocacy work on unceded Indigenous territories
- Understand key concepts about public policy
- Understand the different levels of government and learn about Indigenous governance structures
- Identify key public policy issues impacting your communities in British Columbia
- Identify and gain support to work towards influencing public policy and system change
- Understand the different stakeholders involved in public policy
- Draft a policy ask to advance a policy issue that impacts your community as part of your final project
By the end, you will also have a professionally designed and printed policy project portfolio, as well as a strengthened capacity to influence policy change at multiple levels.
YPP is a six-month program from February to September with the exception of July and August. During those two summer months, you will be working on a final policy project that you will have the opportunity to present to your cohort. In-person modules will take place between 8:30am to 4:30pm, two days a month. Online modules will take place between 8:30am to 4:30pm but will either be AM or PM sessions, four days a month.
- Module 1: Introduction to Public Policy and Each Other – February 17 & 18, 2022 (in person, Vancouver, BC)
- Module 2: Public Policy in BC – March 10 & 11 and 17 & 18, 2022 (online)
- Module 3: Stakeholder Analysis and Budget Cycles – April 14 & 15 and 21 & 22, 2022 (online)
- Module 4: Canadian Government and Indigenous Governance – May 19 & 20, 2022 (in person, Victoria, BC)
- Module 5: Storytelling and New Narratives in Shaping Policy – June 16 & 17, 2022 (online)
- Module 6: Reflecting and Moving Forward – September 22 & 23, 2022 (in person, Vancouver, BC)
We hope to deliver YPP as a blend of gathering in-person and online, but the delivery methods and dates of the modules may change depending on public health orders.
If you have any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.